Saturday, May 19, 2012

Obadiah parents meeting

It has been so long since I have written. I apologize; I had wanted to write updates from Dipolog City, but it was not feasible because of many factors.

However, in the coming days I hope to share many stories with you about my wonderful trip to the Philippines.

Today will be brief, but I hope it will encourage you. The first full day of my time on Mindanao (I arrived to Manila on a Thursday, and to Mindanao on a Friday, so my first full day on the island was Saturday, April 28) was a blessed day for me. I got to meet the parents and children of Obadiah Learning and Development, the outreach mission school for Shiloh Bible Baptist Church in Punta, Dipolog City.

The school does not charge the students, but the cost involved for each student must be raised. God has blessed me to be a sponsor for several of the students, and I was blessed to be able to meet many of the kids whom I sponsor. Their parents cooked me a variety of Filipino dishes. I have no idea what many of them were, but in order to be a good guest, I made sure I ate plenty. (Using my spiritual gifts.)

Me and my kids
I am most excited about this school because it is an outreach school. The parents must agree to either attend the church or allow a Bible study in their home if their children attend. The result has been the salvation of many families.

I had the privilege of baptizing one of the families while I was there. The daughters and mother were former Jehovah's Witnesses, but now they are part of the body of Christ. 

In addition to the children's sponsorships, the school is praying for the funds to build its own building. Right now, the school meets in the church building, but a lot has been donated for the purpose of allowing the school to be built. There is a five-year lease on the property.

The school can be built for only 150,000 Philippine pesos, roughly $3,600 in US money. We have already received donations for $1,100, but we are praying for the balance to be realized. The new building would serve as a meeting place for the children's discipleship during Sundays as well, and would be extra space for the church. The church in Punta has more than 5,000 members, but there is room for only about 200 people. 

So, please, let us pray for this need. And let us lift up Obadiah Learning and Development and its continued outreach to the lost.





No comments:

Post a Comment