Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The squatters

One of my favorite things during my trip, and one of the most important ministries Shiloh Bible Baptist Church does, was to visit the poor. On Mindanao, many of the poorest live in squatter settlements. I had the privilege to visit several of them while I was making my visit, for various reasons.

Many of the poor who live in these settlements are Subanen, the native people who are fleeing the violence in the mountains. 

The water is stagnant pond
water with a colony
of mosquitoes.
One of the places we visited was in the home of one family in the church. These particular people left the mountains because of communist rebels, and they bought a house for about $70. It is in the swamp, a nipa house with bamboo floors that are not very sturdy. Perhaps the overweight American was not a good fit for the floors and added extra stress, but there's no reason to speculate on that.

The family never complains, but they are often sick from the water and the constant mosquito attacks. When it rains heavily (as it often does), the water rises through the floor, and all that nasty water comes into the house. The plank walkway you see in the photo will then be covered by several feet of water. The family members have to walk through the water to get to the street and go to school or work or church. We are praying we can help this family have a better home. May God allow us to do that.

Lessons in Katipunan
One Saturday, we made the short trek to a settlement in Katipunan. The settlements are often on the waterfront, since this is mostly public land. The settlers make their living as fishermen or other sea trades. On this day, I saw a children's Bible study. The children were taught Bible lessons, and just as the adults would be, they were taught doctrinal lessons from the streamers Pastor Mario draws.

Our teacher, sister Grace, did a good job with the children. They sang songs, played games and were instructed out of the Bible. They even claimed to see an Amerkano, but I never saw him.

My personal highlight, though, was when we traveled to the extension in Pasil, Roxas. This extension is the fruit of the labor of Bro. Soliva. I am hating myself for forgetting his first name. But should his daughter send me a message, I will update the blog with that information.

There is a public meeting space in the settlement, right next to the Roman Catholic chapel. Many of the residents are Roman Catholic, and our brother has done a great job of explaining the true Gospel to these dear souls.

Some girls do a special music number in Pasil, Roxas.
In the background is Pastor Mario, on the right, and Bro. Soliva,
who founded the extension in this village.
Can you say full house?
The first thing you notice when the bus stops in these settlements is the smell. The people have their pigs and chickens and dogs (some for pets, some for food), and the smell of excrement is strong. But the people are very eager to meet you, and they are very friendly. I was, frankly, surprised at the turnout.

We met on a Wednesday morning in Pasil, but the place was beyond full. Children were especially plentiful once again. Frankly, I underestimated the gospel knowledge of these dear souls. Bro. Soliva has done a wonderful job explaining the doctrines of the Bible to these precious people.

I tell you this next part hesitantly, because I don't want it to be prideful. But these dear souls are not used to seeing an Amerkano. In fact, one of the adults shook the hand of Bro. Soliva and thanked him for bringing "the Amerkano" to them. It meant so much to them that there was an Amerkano there. We don't know how much encouragement we can be by simply spending time with the poor, the outcast.

After the service, the parents wanted their children to have their photos made with the Amerkano. At first, the parents brought their babies up. Some were more excited than others. One baptized me with his cracker, and I had crumbs all over my shirt. Fortunately, I later spilled my orange juice on my shirt to wash off the crumbs.

After the service, they also asked me to teach the children a few Hawaiian words. That's good, because I only know a few Hawaiian words. I taught them a few, including the favorite Hawaiian word "aloha." It means, hello, goodbye and love. This quickly became the kids' favorite word.


This gentleman was not happy to see me.

Someone got the idea for us to take a photo by the sea. So, we went through the maze of houses to find a good spot to take photos. I walked with 20-30 shadows, all walking very close. At one point, they shouted in unison, "al-o-ha, al-o-ha," as we walked around the settlement.

What a blessing for me to spend time with such precious children. It is humbling to know I encouraged them at all. Such an incredible blessing to me.

Let's remember that the Bible often calls us to remember the poor. How wonderful to remember those who cannot do anything for us. Let's pray for SBBC Punta and its effort to reach the poor in the various parts of that country.

Let's also pray for men like Bro. Soliva, who travel to the extension churches at their own expense. Pray they will continue to have their jobs that pay them well enough to accomplish God's purposes. Also, let's pray and see if God would have us support the ministry as a whole. Perhaps God will use us for that purpose. 

Me and my shadows.






May God draw many of these dear ones to Himself!



No comments:

Post a Comment